I was born and raised in Central Florida, and currently live in the awesome town of Lahaina on the island of Maui. I’ve resided in the great cities of Sarasota, San Diego, Orlando and Honolulu as well — I’m not fond of cold weather.
I create online brands and businesses, design and develop killer WordPress themes, and illustrate some pretty cool logos. I love to surf, relatively small waves by Hawaii standards. I also strum a geetar, hike with my crazy dog, catch fish like Bill Dance and I’m a natural on a snowboard — despite only seeing snow a handful of times in my life. I have an amazing wife, an awesome family, a famous brother and great friends. There isn’t much to complain about.
I attended an arts high school during my awkward teenage years where I spent most of my education drawing pictures of monsters and aliens. I was real cool! When I wasn’t drawing or playing Warcraft II over a 56K modem, I was off wakeboarding, bow hunting or being towed behind a Camaro on rollerblades at 60mph in an attempt to balance out my nerdiness.
With a degree in computer animation from the University of Central Florida, my career began in a cubicle modeling 3D cockpits and texturing kill switches for one of the many government contracted military simulation companies in central Florida. It sucked! I didn’t take it seriously, often showing up late after surfing the mornings at Cocoa Beach. Eventually, I was fired. The corporate “Office Space” life was not for me. I stumbled in to design, and loved the potential freedom the field offered. I paid my dues for a couple years at a top notch interactive firm, then started a freelance design business. In 2007, I left for Oahu in search of the perfect wave while foraging for any freelance work I could find to pay the bills in Waikiki. In 2009, I moved to Maui and created a WordPress theme company with my best friend from high school.
Our company, Organic Themes, has become one of the most popular WordPress theme companies with a reputation for excellence. A year later Jeff and I created the WordPress hosting company, Kahuna Host. In early 2016, we launched GivingPress as a website solution for nonprofit organizations.
On July 24th, 2016, I married the love of my life in Costa Rica. Emily and I traveled the country together for 2 weeks exploring little towns, eating at “Sodas,” running from Howler Monkey’s and surfing some grande waves. After a year in Sarasota, we moved to Maui together.
25 things you may not know about me…
- I’ve lost count of how many car wrecks I’ve been in.
- I lose my shit if a bee lands on me — which seems to be fairly often.
- I’ve surfed 15 foot waves, but don’t care to surf them that big again.
- My friends and I have backpacked over 24 miles through the barren volcano crater of Haleakala — several times.
- My heritage is English, Welsh, Jewish and Cherokee Indian, among other things.
- I didn’t see snow until I was 13-years-old.
- My house has been struck by lightning in Hawaii. My friend was struck by lightning in Florida.
- I lived out of my car for the first few days when I first moved to Hawaii.
- I’ve never broken a bone, and received stitches only once after dropping a jar of jelly on my pinky toe.
- I love Bruce Springsteen and Kings of Leon.
- I ran cross country, and hated it.
- I have a hyper Sheltie named Taj — after the pro surfer.
- I know more about Star Trek TNG than I care to share in daily conversation.
- My favorite video game is Zelda: A Link To The Past. Yup, I’m a nerd.
- I grew up wakeboarding and gave it up the moment I tried surfing.
- I’ve caught a rattlesnake with my bare hands.
- I’ve had several designs published in various books and magazines.
- I once populated my entire swimming pool with fish I caught from a pond, unbeknownst to my parents.
- I had a go-kart growing up. I crashed it into a neighbors garage.
- I’ve swam in sewage. I’m not proud of that one. I just thought it was mud.
- I can distinguish the distinct smell of tadpoles immediately.
- I love every place I’ve lived, but not every place I’ve visited…
- I have ADHD. My parents decided to keep this a secret from me until I learned to cope with it on my own.
- In college, my friends and I drove from Orlando, Florida to northern Minnesota. We backpacked and canoed through the Boundary Waters wilderness along the U.S. and Canadian border.
- I hit a sea turtle with my surfboard on a wave at Ho’okipa. It sent me flying and ripped the center fin out of my board. The turtle was fine.